Amadeus is an IT service provider which provides multiple technology solutions for the travel industry with customers ranging from airlines, hotels, tour operators, travel agencies, and insurers. The company is headquartered in Madrid, Spain. The company operates in two spheres i.e. Global Distribution System and IT Solutions Business Area. It provides various processing real-time capabilities such as search, booking, ticketing to various travel agencies and providers. It also provides software systems capable of automating and streamlining procedures like travel reservations.
Amadeus mainly caters to the travel industry which is growing the industry and is continuously evolving as people these are looking forward travel more and farther to explore both professional and personal horizons. Travel and tourism is a multibillion-dollar industry and also the second largest growing industry worldwide.
As the travel industry expands it is imperative that it will be subject to more competition and companies operating in this sphere will always have to work to give the optimum experience to their customers by keeping their costs low and maximizing profits for different stakeholders. Amadeus Revenue Integrity is one of the basket of solutions provided by Amadeus IT for airline operators to help them manage cost and forecast revenue by minimizing costs for non-productive bookings. It intends to maximize revenue and reduce distribution costs by timely reselling non-committed ticket inventory and making sure passengers travel at a right cost to make it a win-win situation for the airline and its customers. It aims to eliminate revenue loss by creating a more dependable and efficient ticketing ecosystem for airlines while streaming the ticket fulfillment process from ticket reservation to PNR generation.
Amadeus Revenue Integrity is a desktop solution which allows users to perform multiple tasks like defining and self-managing business rules and its criteria, searching and analyzing logs for these rules and actions taken to identify tendencies for potential improvement areas. The users can also use its reporting and analytical capabilities on multiple dimensions (date and time) to monitor applied rules for their usefulness and efficacy.
A typical airline ticket can be booked in two ways –
1. Directly through the airline reservation system or pushing the required data such as the schedule of flight, tariff, and class to the Global Distribution System which can then be travel agents to book the ticket for the customer.
2. The tickets are booked directly by the customer using the internet and wireless services.
Both of these categories of users can search the availability of a particular route through airline reservation system. The corresponding route and its related information is shown to the user in real time. Once a reservation is made a PNR (Passenger Name Record) is generated. Although a PNR has been generated there could be generated but the payment is not made. In this case, the reservation is not canceled but kept in the system with a TTL (Ticketing Time Limit) before the ticket can go back in the unreserved pool.
In this project, we have the following objectives –
· Develop a data structure (XML, JSON etc) for analyzing different statuses of TTL(Ticketing Time Limit ) for PNR(Passenger Name Record) across multiple dimensions so that to determine and analyze potential areas of concern and address them.
· This data structure will have to be utilized to show a proof of concept for business dashboards using data visualization tools. This can then be readily consumed by users to reflect and improve on existing rules, procedures and policies to optimize TTL along the different dimensions.
The raw data once cleansed and is present in the appropriate data structure can then be offered using data visualization tools for different categories of users based on their understanding of the system.
Data visualization tools can broadly be defined into two categories – the first set of tools require implementation which includes design and coding. The second set of tools can be used off the shelf based on a set of data which can be pulled from different sources.
Developer Based Tools
· D3.js – Data Driven Document – Open source tool which uses HTML, CSS and SVG to render charts and diagrams using any arbitrary data format.
· FusionCharts – Supports JSON and XML data formats to export charts in various formats using JS.
· Google Charts – Renders charts and diagrams in HTML5/SVG using data ingested from GoogleSpreadsheets, Google Fusion Tables, and SalesForce.
Non-Developer based Tools
· Datawrapper – Online tool which uses data from uploaded CSV to generate various bars and charts.
· Tableau – Extensively used data visualization tool which has powerful capabilities and can import data from various sources.
· Raw – Open source online tool which is a wrapper on top of D3.js to avoid writing code and works on data from spreadsheets.
Personal Goals from the BNAD
From the consulting course, I intend to achieve the following objectives –
· I intend to gain experience in data analytics field for which I haven’t had a real-time experience so far in my professional career.
· Having worked in India and Europe with people of multiple cultures was a great learning experience. However, as I intend to work in the United States after masters degree it is important that I learn the professional culture here as well. After this course, I would’ve an opportunity to interact with clients in technical consulting from three continents which will help me stand out as an able and effective technology professional.
· I will try to use an extensive work experience to guide my team using my expertise to deliver a project which closely aligns to the business objectives of Amadeus Revenue Integrity.
· The overall experience of the course along with real-time experience and learning from industry aligned faculty and collaborating with fellow students will help me to emerge and grow in the Business Data Analytics field.